This is an exceptional opportunity for a senior technologist with significant experience in building and managing digital teams and products to join an innovative and growing mature global data, events and publishing company.
The Head of Platforms will manage multiple development teams to maintain and enhance a suite of applications that are used extensively across multiple business divisions. These central platforms cover areas including publishing and subscription management and are developed in line with divisional needs.
Reporting into the CTO, Central Platforms, you will be a key member of the leadership team and will work with stakeholders across the business to deliver high quality, high conversion digital products.
Candidates must have a track record of managing the direction, development, implementation and support of software solutions across a digital delivery function. They should have solid experience managing mid-sized development teams (10 or so reports), working with business stakeholders, and have worked in an agile environment delivering projects on medium and large scales.
The successful candidate will be an effective communicator with strong and up-to-date technical capabilities (i.e. still writing production code), coupled with people skills, commercial awareness, and a ‘can do’ attitude.
- The Head of Platform will work with his/her reports and the rest of the Technology Leadership team to plan and coordinate activities related to the design, development and support of technology products and initiatives aligned to the business strategy.
The key areas include:
- Managing the key areas of the Development Programme for the Central Development Team, overseeing the specification, development and deployment of new sites and applications and enhancements to existing applications using best practice.
- Demonstrating continuous efforts to improve operations, increase communication, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless service.
- Personnel management, supervision, and budgeting.
- Forecasting manpower requirements and determining proper resource allocation within the group.
- Reviewing employee knowledge and skill needs, and establishing or coordinating plans for training.
- Responding to and resolving complaints dealing with personnel or service delivery.
- Advising on industry best-practices that reflect the most effective application of information processing or technology and resources.
- Establishing regular review processes within the Company and ensuring both the quality and responsiveness of service meets the business needs and is consistent worldwide.
- The role will involve travel to the Europe and USA.
Skills & Experience
- Proven technology leadership experience in best-of-class businesses, with teams of approximately 10 or more developers.
- Strong project delivery experience and a history of working in fast-paced environments with multiple concurrent projects.
- Demonstrable commercial experience of developing data-driven, service-oriented, high-traffic, public-facing business critical websites under tight time constraints.
- Good knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies.
- A natural builder of positive, highly-engaged relationships with a range of senior business stakeholders.
- A desire to challenge the status quo and be committed to driving positive change.
- A strong technical background, coupled with the communication skills to influence and persuade at all levels across a quality-driven business.
- Experience in working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Experience in selecting, managing and motivating offshore development functions (advantage, not essential).
- Highly self-motivated, high achiever.
- Extensive experience in web development environments with multiple technologies
- A background of hands-on programming, database, design and systems management is a requirement
- Experience in TDD and/or BDD, solid automated unit testing experience is a minimum
- Hands-on experience of cloud deployment environments, using both IaaS and PaaS (ideally Azure).
- Experience in business/systems analysis.
- Ideally, experience in running a development office as part of a larger, global development function.