RISI is a global leader in price reporting, analysis and conferences for the pulp and paper industry. It has offices all over the world – including in the USA, the UK, Belgium, Finland and Brazil. Its Asian business is run out of Shanghai, where a team of 40 staff is based.
We are looking for a Head of Events to manage our Asian events portfolio, which at present is made up three annual events, but which could grow in the coming years.
As the Head of Events, you will be responsible for creating conference agendas and confirming speakers, and leading the events team of three people. You will be responsible for the quality of RISI events in Asia, achieving financial targets and for setting future strategy, in collaboration with teams around the world.
You will need experience of producing conference agendas and have an excellent understanding of all aspects of organising events, so that you can manage the marketing, operations and sales functions. Some experience of managing or supervising people would be a big advantage.
This role is an excellent opportunity to join a growing business where you will be able to take on more responsibility and develop your career.
The Head of Events will report to the Portfolio Director for RISI events, based in London, so you will need to be comfortable working in English and be willing to travel internationally.
- Develop strategic plans to grow individual events in line with financial targets
- Identify opportunities for new events based on your understanding of the needs of RISI customers
- Work with the events sales person to create sales plans for each event
- Build relationships with potential speakers, marketing partners and sponsors, travelling when necessary for face-to-face meetings
- Research and write conference agendas which meet the needs of our target audiences
- Collaborate with RISI editorial staff to maximise internal expertise and contacts
- Develop a deep understanding of the pulp and paper industry both in Asia and worldwide
- Invite and confirm the participation of leading industry executives as conference speakers
- Identify the key target audiences for each conference and communicate this to the marketer and to the event sales person
- Write marketing copy for brochures, the website and emails
- Manage a team of three people who are responsible for operations, marketing and sales
- Communicate strategic plans to the team and agree the specific task for each member of the team
- Supervise the day to day activity of the team to ensure projects are delivered on time
- Coach the team and put in place individual development plans for each team member
Knowledge, experience and skills required
- Experience of producing events in China
- Excellent research and writing skills to produce agendas of real value
- Experience of working on events which are aimed at both Chinese and international delegates
- Good communication skills and the ability to build relationships
- Understanding of how to get the best out of people and to motivate a team
- Comfortable communicating in English, both verbally and in writing
- Enthusiastic and positive personality
- Committed to quality with strong attention to detail
- Numerate and tech savvy
- Proactive and ambitious to maximise results on every project
- Flexible and open-minded